The wheelchair-bound disabled former Professor GN Saibaba declared that he will go on a hunger strike due to the denial of medicines sent by his family members along with books, clothes, and letters. Professor Saibaba is serving life imprisonment in the And a cell at the Nagpur Central Jail. But later, the Nagpur Central Jail Authority so accepted GN Saibaba’s demands.
Professor G Haragopalan, Chairman of the Committee for the Defence and Release of Professor GN Saibaba, stated in a press release at 3 PM today, that family members of GN Saibaba got a call from the Nagpur Central Jail. According to the press release, Saibaba spoke to his wife and informed that the DIG (Prisons) visited him in the Central Jail on October 20. There was a negotiation between GN Saibaba and the DIG (Prisons) in which the DIG (Prisons) accepted all his demands. Nagpur Central Prison officers were instructed by the DIG (Prisons) to resolve all the following demands immediately-
- And overall the letters were written to him by his wife, family members, and advocates to GN Saibaba.
- Jail authorities shall not stop giving the medicines provided by his family members and the advocates. Medicines to be given to Saibaba immediately.
- Complaint letters written by Saibaba documenting his harassment and lack of basic rights in the prisons since the last few months addressed to the ADG Pune to be delivered immediately. Previously the jail authorities didn’t send his letters and were illegally holding on to it.
- All the paper clippings sent to Saibaba by his family members through post shall be given to him immediately and none of the people cutting should be confiscated in the future.
- He shall be provided with all the books which were sent by his family members.
Dr. GN Saibaba did not go for a hunger strike from October 21, 2020, as DIG accepted all his demands. But according to the phone call received today, none of the demands have been met yet. Yesterday, it has been informed to the Saibaba that the second parole application filed by his brother Ramadevudu has been rejected. Advocate Akash Sarode, who delivers the medicines to GN Saibaba, mentioned that the jail authorities have been consistently refusing to deliver medicines, books, and other essentials to the wheelchair-bound 90% disabled former professor who is serving life imprisonment. Gadchiroli Court on March 7, 2017, awarded life imprisonment to Saibaba and others for convicting them under Sections 13, 18, 20, 38, and 39 of the Unlawful Activities Prevention Act (UAPA) and Section 120 B of the Indian Penal Code.