In order to balance the rights and interests of the landlord and tenant, a new Model Tenancy Act (2020) was prepared. It focused on the Rights and obligations of Landlord and tenant, Rent Courts and Rent Tribunals, Eviction, and Recovery of possession of premises by the Landlord.
The characteristics features of this Act are-
- It provides a fast track mechanism for the settlement of disputes.
- It would help to provide between both landlord and tenant a win-win situation.
- It would create a transparent ecosystem for renting the premises.
- According to the act, no premises is allowed to be rented except by a proper written agreement.
- The rent of the premises so put in rent shall be mutually decided by the landlord and tenant.
- The agreement made for allowing the premises on rent shall be binding on both landlord and tenant for the complete period of the agreement.
- It would also help better access to quality rented accommodation.
As per this model, the Government of India has decided to settle the disputes between the landlord and tenant within 60 days.