The Union Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) has wide notification No. 40-312020-DM-I(A) announced the 4th phase of the COVID-19 lockdown. This lockdown will be in effect till 31 May 2020. Ministry has given an exhaustive list of things that will be permitted and those not permitted.
On earlier occasions, the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) in the exercise of their powers under section 6(2)(i) of the Disaster Management Act, 2005, vide their Orders dated 24.03.2020, 14.04.2020 and 01.05.2020 had directed the National Executive Committee (NEC) to take Lockdown measures so as to contain the spread of COVID-19 in the country. On the same lines, the NDMA has issued another order on May 17, 2020, directing the Chairperson, NEC that Lockdown measures to contain the spread of COVID-19 be continued to be implemented in all parts of the country, for a further period up to 31.05.2020. Under this directions Union Home Secretary, in his capacity as Chairperson, NEC, had issued directions for strict implementation, to all the Ministries/ Departments of Government of India, State/Union Territory Governments and State/ Union Territory Authorities that Lockdown measures to contain the spread of COVI D-19 be continued for a period of up to 31.05.2020.
- The following activities will continue to remain banned during lockdown 4.0:
i. All domestic and international air travel of passengers, except for domestic medical services, domestic air ambulance and for security purposes or purposes as permitted by MHA. ii. Metro rail services. iii. Schools, colleges, educational/ training/ coaching institutions, etc. will remain closed. Online/ distance learning shall continue to be permitted and shall be encouraged. iv. Hotels, restaurants, and other hospitality services, except those meant for housing health! police/ Government officials/ healthcare workers/ stranded persons including tourists and for quarantine facilities; and running of canteens at bus depots, railway stations, and airports. Restaurants shall be permitted to operate kitchens for home delivery of food items. v. All cinema halls, shopping malls, gymnasiums, swimming pools, entertainment parks, theatres, bars and auditoriums, assembly halls, and similar places. Sports complexes and stadia will be permitted to open; however, spectators will not be allowed. vi. All social/ political/ sports/ entertainment/ academic/ cultural/ religious functions/ other gatherings and large congregations. vii. All religious places/ places of worship shall be closed for the public. Religious congregations are strictly prohibited. The following activities will be permitted with restrictions, except in the Containment Zones: i. Inter-State movement of passenger vehicles and buses, with mutual consent of the State(s)/UT(s) involved. ii. Intra-State movement of passenger vehicles and buses, as decided by the States and UTs. iii. Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for the movement of persons, as mentioned in Annexure I, shall continue to operate.
- Regarding Night curfew: The movement of individuals will remain strictly prohibited between 7.00 pm to 7.00 am, except for essential activities.
- All other activities will be permitted, except those which are specifically prohibited. States/ UTs, are directed to prohibit certain other activities in the various zones or impose such restrictions as deemed necessary based on their assessment of the situation.
- All States/ UTs are directed to allow inter-State and intra-State movement of medical professionals, nurses and paramedical staff, sanitation personnel and ambulances, without any restriction, movement of all types of goods/ cargo, including empty truck and not to stop the movement of any type of goods/ cargo for cross land-border trade under Treaties with neighboring countries.
- Regarding Penal Provision: As a penal provision, it is notified that any person violating these measures will be liable to be proceeded against as per the provisions of Section 51 to 60 of the Disaster Management Act, 2005, besides legal action under Sec. 188 of the IPC, and other legal provisions as applicable.