A man allegedly found a dead lizard in a food item served at the snacks major Haldiram’s outlet in Nagpur, PTI reported.
As per the report, the incident took place at the outlet located at Ajani square on May 14, 2019. Soon, thereafter, the picture of the dead lizard found in ‘vada sambar’ went viral on social media.
The eatery was shut down by the Food and Drugs Administration officials when they were apprised about the incident.
“The man and a woman accompanying him, both from Wardha, had ordered vada sambar at the outlet. But while eating, the man found a dead lizard in the food. They brought this to the notice of the outlet’s supervisor, who later on threw it away,” assistant commissioner of FDA (Nagpur) Milind Deshpande told PTI.
“They were later admitted to a private hospital and discharged on Wednesday,” he added.
Further, Deshpande said that “The FDA was informed about it in the evening, after which we immediately visited the Haldiram’s outlet and conducted an inspection. We found certain deficiencies in its kitchen. The windows of the kitchen need to be fitted with nets, which was missing.”
“The FDA has closed the outlet till they complete the compliance as per the Food Safety and Standards (Food business licences and Registration) regulations 2011. They have submitted a compliance report to us. We will inspect the premises and if we find the steps taken are satisfactory, only then we will allow it to reopen,” he added.
Reacting on the incident, a senior office-bearer associated with Haldiram’s told PTI that they were not entirely convinced about the consumers’ claim.