38.6c New Delhi, India, Saturday, August 30, 2025
Top Stories Supreme Court
Political NEWS Legislative Corner Celebstreet International Videos
Subscribe Contact Us
close
Executive

2020 Palghar Lynching Case: Now Maha Govt Ready To Hand Over Probe To CBI [Read Affidavit]

By LawStreet News Network      11 October, 2022 09:41 PM      0 Comments
2020 Palghar Lynching Case: Now Maha Govt Ready To Hand Over Probe To CBI [Read Affidavit]

NEW DELHI: The Eknath Shinde government on Tuesday told the Supreme Court that it is ready and willing to hand over the investigation to the CBI in the 2020 case of brutal lynching of two Hindu Sadhus in Palghar, Maharashtra.

The development comes more than two year and six months after the incident, which shocked the nation as videos of the attack went viral.

The Uddhav Thackeray-led Maha Vikas Aghadi government had earlier transferred the case to the State CB-CID, but refused to hand over the probe to the CBI, despite the demand from various quarters, including the family members of the deceased.

In a fresh affidavit to PILs filed by advocate Shashank Shekhar Jha and others, the Maharashtra government said, "It is ready and willing to hand over the investigation in the Palghar mob lynching case to the CBI for an impartial and independent investigation into the matter. It would have no objection to the same."

Two Sadhus of Juna Akhara, Chikne Maharaj Kalpavrukshagiri (70), and Sushilgiri Maharaj (35) were lynched along with their 30-year old driver by a mob on April 16, 2020.

The incident had taken place at Gadchinchale village in Palghar district, Maharashtra.

Both the Sadhus were on their way to Surat, Gujarat.

The police were present at the scene, but they allegedly did not try to stop the mob or did anything to save the sadhus.

The Maharashtra police had already filed charge sheet in the matter against 126 accused. It also initiated departmental proceedings against the police personnel.

On August 6, 2020, the top court had told the Maharashtra government to bring on record the charge sheets filed in connection with the case.

Besides Jha, advocate Ghanshyam Upadhyay and Mahant Shraddhanand Saraswati of Panchdasnam of Juna Akhara and family members of the two deceased, through advocates Balaji Srinivasan and Ashutosh Lohia, also filed petitions for the CBI probe into the matter.

[Read Affidavit]



Share this article:

User Avatar
About:


Leave a feedback about this
TRENDING NEWS

supreme-court-appoints-two-new-judges-justice-alok-aradhe-and-future-cji-vipul-pancholi
Trending Judiciary
Supreme Court Appoints Two New Judges: Justice Alok Aradhe & Future CJI Vipul Pancholi

SC gets two new judges — Justices Alok Aradhe and Vipul Manubhai Pancholi, with Pancholi set to be CJI in 2031. Oath administered by CJI Gavai.

29 August, 2025 02:23 PM
sc-to-hear-on-monday-pleas-to-extend-september-1-deadline-for-claims-objections-in-bihar-sir
Trending Judiciary
SC to hear on Monday pleas to extend September 8 deadline for claims, objections in Bihar SIR [Read Order]

SC to hear on Monday pleas seeking extension of Sept 8 deadline for filing claims, objections in Bihar voter list revision.

29 August, 2025 02:32 PM

TOP STORIES

sc-restores-mandatory-20-percent-deposit-for-suspension-of-sentence-in-cheque-bounce-case
Trending Judiciary
SC Restores Mandatory 20% Deposit for Suspension of Sentence in Cheque Bounce Case [Read Order]

SC sets aside P&H HC order; rules 20% deposit mandatory for suspension of sentence in ₹8.65 crore cheque bounce case under NI Act.

25 August, 2025 12:35 PM
18-former-judges-write-to-union-home-minister-amit-shah-criticizing-his-remarks-on-justice-b-sudershan-reddy
Trending Judiciary
18 Former Judges write to Union Home Minister Amit Shah, criticizing his remarks on Justice B Sudershan Reddy

18 ex-judges write to Union HM Amit Shah, criticizing his remarks on Justice B Sudershan Reddy, stressing judicial independence and dignity.

25 August, 2025 03:09 PM
sc-stays-investigation-into-firs-against-csds-co-director-sanjay-kumar
Trending Judiciary
SC stays investigation into FIRs against CSDS co director Sanjay Kumar

SC stays probe into FIRs against CSDS co-director Sanjay Kumar over Maharashtra polling data post; says multiple cases show harassment motive.

25 August, 2025 03:14 PM
influencers-indulging-in-commercial-speech-cant-claim-fundamental-right-sc
Trending CelebStreet
Influencers indulging in commercial speech can't claim fundamental right: SC

SC: Influencers making commercial speech can’t claim fundamental rights; must apologize and act responsibly towards community sensitivities.

25 August, 2025 04:18 PM

ADVERTISEMENT


Join Group

Signup for Our Newsletter

Get Exclusive access to members only content by email