38.6c New Delhi, India, Monday, September 01, 2025
Top Stories Supreme Court
Political NEWS Legislative Corner Celebstreet International Videos
Subscribe Contact Us
close
Judiciary

Bombay High Court Seeks Details From State About 11 Deaths That Allegedly Occurred Due To Negligence On Behalf Of Hospitals

By RHEA BANERJEE      07 October, 2020 01:02 PM      0 Comments
Bombay High Court Negligence Hospitals

The Bombay High Court on 5th October 2020 directed the State government to file an affidavit containing the details of deaths that have occurred due to the mismanagement of dead bodies in State and Municipal hospitals. The court further stated that if the allegations of culpable negligence are proven against the State and Municipal hospitals then the families of such deceased persons will be entitled to compensation. 

The Bench comprised of Chief Justice Dipankar Datta and Justice NJ Jamdar who heard the Public Interest Litigation filed by the Bhartiya Janta Party leader Ashish Shelar and questioned about the manner in which the dead bodies of the infected person were being handled allegedly resulted in 11 deaths. 

In the beginning, the Court noted that The larger issue raised in this PIL petition was with respect to proper management of dead bodies of the COVID victims which is also pending for adjudication before the Apex Court. We are inclined to keep the issue suspended awaiting the decision of the Supreme Court. 

However, until final directions are dispensed by the Apex Court the High Court has stated to follow the guidelines issued by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India on 15th March 2020 regarding the dead body management with reference to the Covid-19 patients and follow the additional guidelines as laid down by the Division Bench of the Calcutta High Court in case of Vineet Ruja v. Principal Secretary, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of West Bengal and Ors. 

The court clarified that this order will, however, not preclude the petitioner from also suggesting any further measure that could be adopted by the State government for better management of the dead bodies of the infected patients. The bench asked the petitioner to share the suggestions with AGP Kedar Dighe. 

Referring to the additional affidavit filed by the petitioner dated 10th July 2020 the Court has marked the instances of 11 deaths of patients in the State-run or Municipal Hospitals as cited by the petitioner amid this duration. The petitioner contended that these were some of the instances of the culpable negligence on the part of those responsible for running the hospitals. 

The Court further stated, We had pointed out to Mr. Dighe on the last occasion that if the instances referred to by the petitioner were true and the State accepts the allegations of the petitioner that there has been culpable negligence, the unfortunate victims family members should be entitled to compensation. The AGP Dighe also pointed out that a PIL petition had been filed in the Aurangabad Bench of the Bombay High Court and the Court may exercise restraint with respect to this pendency of this PIL. 

The Court said, Particulars regarding the PIL petition, said to be pending before the Aurangabad Bench are not before use. We accordingly call upon the State to file an additional counter-affidavit and provide particulars of the prayers made and the status of such proceedings. In addition, the State shall deal with each of the 10 instances referred by the petitioner in the aforesaid affidavit. We make it clear that even if all the hospitals where the unfortunate deaths have occurred are not run by the State, nothing would prevent the State from accessing information from the authority in charge of administration thereof and placing on record all relevant factual details and particulars. Let such an affidavit be filed by 4th November 2020 to which the reply can be filed by 23rd November 2020. 

Thus, the next hearing of the respective case is scheduled on 23rd November 2020. 



Share this article:



Leave a feedback about this
TRENDING NEWS


TOP STORIES

sc-sets-up-sit-on-allegations-against-anant-ambani-vantara
Trending CelebStreet
SC sets up SIT on allegations against Anant Ambani's Vantara [Read Order]

SC forms SIT led by ex-judge J Chelameswar to probe allegations of illegal animal acquisition, mistreatment & financial irregularities at Anant Ambani’s Vantara.

26 August, 2025 01:57 PM
sc-deplores-high-courts-for-delaying-judgments-over-a-year
Trending Judiciary
SC Deplores High Courts for Delaying Judgments Over a Year [Read Judgment]

SC slams delay: Supreme Court deplores HCs for not delivering judgments for over a year after reserving cases, eroding faith in justice.

26 August, 2025 05:17 PM
cant-projects-judges-as-political-actors-ex-cjis-former-judges-rebut-statement
Trending Executive
'Can't projects judges as political actors,' ex CJIs, former judges rebut statement by ex judges on statement of Amit Shah [Read Statement]

56 former judges, including ex-CJIs Sathasivam & Gogoi, rebut peers’ statement on Amit Shah, stressing judiciary must stay above politics.

27 August, 2025 06:46 PM
supreme-court-appoints-two-new-judges-justice-alok-aradhe-and-future-cji-vipul-pancholi
Trending Judiciary
Supreme Court Appoints Two New Judges: Justice Alok Aradhe & Future CJI Vipul Pancholi

SC gets two new judges — Justices Alok Aradhe and Vipul Manubhai Pancholi, with Pancholi set to be CJI in 2031. Oath administered by CJI Gavai.

29 August, 2025 02:23 PM

ADVERTISEMENT


Join Group

Signup for Our Newsletter

Get Exclusive access to members only content by email