New Delhi, India  
Judiciary

SC Hears Rheas Plea in SSR Case: Denies Protection for her, directs that investigations in the matter to continue in accordance with the law

By Bakul      05 August, 2020 10:20 PM      0 Comments
SC Hears Rheas Plea in SSR Case: Denies Protection for her, directs that investigations in the matter to continue in accordance with the law

The plea filed by actor Rhea Chakraborty seeking transfer of the FIR filed by Rajputs father against her was heard on Wednesday by the SC. 

In the hearing Solicitor General (SG) Tushar Mehta presented Centre, Sr. Adv. Mukul Rohtagi presented Bihar Government and SR. Adv. Shyam Divan presented Rhea Chakraborty. Family Lawyer of Shushant, Vikas Singh was also present.

Rhea in her plea stated that till 8th June she was in a live-in relationship with Sushant. She temporarily shifted to her own residence in Mumbai after that. She mentioned that she has been falsely implicated in the case because she was his girlfriend. She seeks for the transfer of FIR in which Rajputs father alleged her for the abetment of suicide u/s 306 of IPC, 1860.

The Supreme Courts Order:-

  1. Solicitor General of India, Tushar Mehta, on behalf of Union of India, announced Centre's acceptance of the CBI probe into Sushant Singh Rajput's death.
  2. Senior Advocate Shyam Diwan, on behalf of Rhea Chakraborty, requested transfer of FIR from Bihar to Mumbai. Also asked for protection for Rhea in case of proceedings or any coercive actions that either Mumbai or Bihar Police may take.
  3. Sr. Adv. R Basant represented the State of Maharashtra, in the caveat petition earlier filed by Sushant's family.
  4. 4. Justice Hrishikesh Roy, from the single-judge bench, said 'issue here is of jurisdiction so far as transfer plea is concerned'. 
  5. Justice Roy said that possibility of criminality in the unusual circumstances of the actor's death needs to be investigated. 
  6. Supreme Court observed that everyone has an opinion about the case, orders Center to proceed as per law.
  7. Justice Roy said, "Let Maharashtra government respond to what Solicitor-General Tushar Mehta has submitted."
  8. Senior advocate Vikas Singh, on behalf of Sushant Singh Rajput's family, opposed Rhea's plea for a protective order and claimed that evidence will be tampered with if Rhea is protected.
  9. Singh revealed that evidence has been destroyed already. Also, an investigating officer from Bihar has been quarantined forcefully. Supreme Court then slammed Mumbai Police's confinement of Bihar IPS officer Vinay Tiwary; said 'it doesn't send a good message'
  10. Justice Roy asked Singh about the time of filing the FIR to which he responded that it was filed after the mourning period of 40 days.
  11. Counsel for the State of Maharashtra claimed there's no cause for action in Patna to register the FIR and cited 'principles of federalism' which were being tampered by letting Bihar Police interfere with Mumbai Police.
  12. Vikas Singh called out Mumbai Police for letting Siddharth Pithani, who allegedly lowered SSR's body from the ceiling fan, go to Hyderabad. Meanwhile, he pointed out that the entire Bollywood industry has been called for questioning.
  13. Singh also asked for direction by the SC to Mumbai Police to cooperate with Bihar Police.
  14. Justice Roy then dictated orders as follows:-
  • Three days granted to all parties concerned to file their investigative reports.
  • The state of Maharashtra to update on the status of the investigation by Mumbai Police.
  • Investigation to continue in accordance with the law.
  • Instructions to SG Tushar Mehta to submit a notification for the CBI probe in the matter by the end of the day.

A three-day window to all the parties was allotted to investigate the death of SSR and to submit all their reports. Justice Roy said that the investigation will proceed in accordance with the law and denied protection for Rhea Chakraborty. He also said that the quarantining of the officer from Bihar is not a good message. The state has to make sure that everything is done in a professional manner. 



Share this article:



Leave a feedback about this
TRENDING NEWS

sc-approves-three-tier-nationwide-icu-framework-says-india-in-dreadful-position
Trending Judiciary
SC Approves Three-Tier Nationwide ICU Framework; Says India in “Dreadful Position”

Supreme Court approves nationwide three-tier ICU framework, calls India’s healthcare system in a “dreadful position”, and seeks urgent reforms.

21 May, 2026 10:55 AM
sc-pulls-up-sbi-says-banks-harass-small-borrowers-while-being-lenient-with-big-defaulters
Trending Judiciary
SC Pulls Up SBI, Says Banks Harass Small Borrowers While Being Lenient With Big Defaulters [Read Order]

Supreme Court criticised SBI and banks for being lenient with big defaulters while subjecting small borrowers to borderline harassment.

21 May, 2026 11:51 AM

TOP STORIES

senior-citizens-act-must-be-liberally-construed-rajasthan-hc-upholds-eviction-of-son-and-daughter-in-law
Trending Judiciary
Senior Citizens Act Must Be Liberally Construed: Rajasthan HC Upholds Eviction of Son and Daughter-in-Law [Read Judgment]

Rajasthan HC upheld the eviction of a son and daughter-in-law under the Senior Citizens Act, stressing protection and dignity of elderly parents.

16 May, 2026 01:54 PM
allahabad-hc-grants-bail-to-eight-accused-in-ganga-boat-iftar-case
Trending Judiciary
Allahabad HC Grants Bail to Eight Accused in Ganga Boat Iftar Case

Allahabad High Court grants bail to eight accused in the Varanasi Ganga boat iftar case; pleas of remaining accused still pending.

16 May, 2026 02:01 PM
why-the-supreme-courts-sc-st-act-ruling-on-public-view-is-neither-new-nor-regressive
Trending Judiciary
Why The Supreme Court's SC/ST Act Ruling On “Public View” Is Neither New Nor Regressive

Supreme Court’s “public view” ruling under the SC/ST Act applies settled law, not new restrictions, in the Gunjan @ Girija Kumari case.

16 May, 2026 04:08 PM
nia-files-7500-page-chargesheet-in-red-fort-blast-terror-conspiracy-case
Trending Crime, Police And Law
NIA Files 7,500-Page Chargesheet In Red Fort Blast Terror Conspiracy Case [Read Press Release]

NIA files 7,500-page chargesheet in Red Fort VBIED blast case, naming 10 accused linked to AQIS and AGuH terror conspiracy.

16 May, 2026 06:02 PM

ADVERTISEMENT


Join Group

Signup for Our Newsletter

Get Exclusive access to members only content by email