The Delhi High Court by a notice dated April 26, 2019, has invited applications for conferment of designation as Senior Advocate.
The applications are invited pursuant to The High Court of Delhi Designation of Senior Advocate Rules, 2018.
The notification states that the "applications seeking conferment of designation as Senior Advocate are accordingly invited from eligible practicing advocates as provided in Rule (5) of the High Court of Delhi Designation of Senior Advocate Rules, 2018, in the prescribed proforma annexed to the aforesaid Rules with a latest photograph of' the applicant. It is clarified that Advocates who have applied earlier and whose applications are pending consideration in the Registry of this Court should apply afresh. Application in the prescribed format i.e. Annexure 'A' to the High Court of Delhi Designation of Senior Advocate Rules, 2018 with latest photograph may be submitted in the Secretariat of the Committee for designation of Senior Advocates latest by 4.30 p.m. on 25th May, 2019.”
All the applications will be scrutinized by a committee – “Committee for Designation of Senior Advocates” which as per Section 3 of the Rules shall comprise of:-
- Hon'ble the Chief Justice - Chairperson of the Committee.
- Two Senior most Judges of the High Court.
- Additional Solicitor General of India for the High Court.
- To be nominated by the Administrative Committee of the High Court out of the names of three Senior Advocates given by the Government of NCT of Delhi.
- Member of the Bar nominated by the above.
The eligibility conditions for conferment as Senior Advocate as per Rule (5) of the Rules, 2018 are as under:-
No person shall be eligible for being designated a Senior Advocate unless he/she –
- has practiced as an Advocate at the Bar for not less than 10 years;
- is enrolled with a Bar Council constituted under the Advocates Act, 1961;
- has been mainly practising in the High Court of Delhi and the Courts Subordinate to it; and
- has appeared and argued cases or provided legal services pro-bono.
The eligibility condition with regard to minimum standing as a practicing Advocate shall not apply to retired Judicial Officers of Delhi or those who have resigned having service and/or practice of 10 years at their credit and retired High Court Judges.