38.6c New Delhi, India, Wednesday, April 24, 2024
Legal Insiders

5,970 Lawyers Suspended By Bar Council For Not Paying Welfare Fund Subscription [Read Notice]

By LawStreet News Network      25 March, 2019 12:00 AM      0 Comments
5,970 Lawyers Suspended By Bar Council For Not Paying Welfare Fund Subscription [Read Notice]

The Bar Council of Tamil Nadu and Puducherry through a notification dated March 22, 2019, suspended 5970 advocates for not paying subscription dues for the Advocates’ Welfare Fund.

As per the notification, the advocates are not allowed to practice in any court, Tribunal or other authority till the payment of the subscription dues. 

“It is hereby informed that the Advocates Welfare Fund (BCI)committee has suspended the right of practice of 5970 Advocates in any court, Tribunal or other authority till the payment of subscription under Rule 40, Part VI Chapter II of the Bar Council of India Rules vide resolution No, 242/2019 dated 21.03.2019,” the notification reads.

Under Rule 40, Part VI, Chapter II of the Bar Council of India (BCI) Rules, the advocates are required to contribute to the welfare fund by making payment to the State Bar Council at prescribed intervals. Out of the amount collected, 20% is to be remitted to the BCI every month and the rest 80% is to be used by the State Bar Council for welfare activities of the advocates in the state. An annual report is also required to be submitted to the BCI to this end.

The procedure prescribes, the State Bar Council Secretary to first issue notice to the errant advocate and even thereafter if the advocate fails to pay the dues, the State authorities are empowered to suspend him from practice.  Earlier, in January last year, the Tamil Nadu Bar Council had issued a final warning to all the defaulting advocates, stating that the advocates who failed to clear their dues by February 5, 2019, would face suspension without further notice.

[Read Notice]



Share this article:

User Avatar
About:


Leave a feedback about this
TRENDING NEWS

denying-child-care-leave-to-working-mothers-of-disabled-children-violated-constitutional-mandate-sc
Trending Judiciary
Denying child care leave to working mothers of disabled children violated constitutional mandate: SC

Supreme Court of India rules denying child care leave for mothers of disabled kids violates constitutional rights.

23 April, 2024 11:15 AM
ignorance-is-not-bliss-okhla-waste-to-energy-plant-needs-to-be-relocated-residents-argue
Trending Environment
Ignorance is not bliss: Okhla Waste to Energy Plant needs to be relocated, residents argue

Questions on the suitability of waste-to-energy plants in Delhi are not new, but the 2,000 tonnes per day Waste to Energy (WTE) plant, situated in the middle of the dense residential areas around Sukhdev Vihar, is not just a major environmental worry but an example of how siting rules can be bent to accommodate a heavily polluting enterprise.

23 April, 2024 12:29 PM

TOP STORIES

pil-filed-by-ashwini-kumar-upadhyay-in-sc-for-yr-bachelor-of-law-degree-after-class
Trending Judiciary
PIL filed by Ashwini Kumar Upadhyay in SC for 3-yr Bachelor of Law degree after Class XII

PIL by Ashwini Kumar in SC seeks to shorten law degree to 3 years post-Class XII, citing current 5-year span as irrational.

18 April, 2024 11:21 AM
centre-sets-up-high-powered-committee-to-suggest-measures-to-end-discrimination-against-queer-community
Trending Executive
Centre sets up high-powered committee to suggest measures to end discrimination against queer community [Read Order]

Centre forms committee to end discrimination against the queer community, chaired by the Cabinet Secretary, following a Supreme Court directive.

18 April, 2024 12:11 PM
after-karnataka-hc-delhi-hc-sets-aside-government-circular-banning-23-ferocious-dog-breeds
Trending Judiciary
After Karnataka HC, Delhi HC sets aside Government circular banning 23 'ferocious' dog breeds [Read Judgement]

After Karnataka High Court, the Delhi High Court has set aside a Government circular banning 23 'ferocious' dog breeds.

18 April, 2024 01:06 PM
for-wrong-decision-of-suicide-by-person-of-frail-mentality-who-is-to-be-blamed-delhi-hc-gives-view
Trending Judiciary
For wrong decision of suicide by person of 'frail mentality', who is to be blamed? Delhi HC gives view [Read Judgment]

If a man of 'frail mentality' takes the wrong decision to commit suicide, who is to be blamed? Delhi High Court gives a prima facie opinion in the matter.

18 April, 2024 03:23 PM

ADVERTISEMENT


Join Group

Signup for Our Newsletter

Get Exclusive access to members only content by email