The Delhi High Court on August 20, 2019, notified a new roster for the allocation of cases to judges, which will come into effect from August 23, 2019.
As per the new roster, the Division Bench headed by the Chief Justice D.N. Patel will hear all public interest litigation petitions other than those pending before the Division Bench comprising of Justice G.S. Sistani and Justice Anup Jairam Bhambhani.
The Division Bench headed by the Chief Justice will also deal with the following matters:-
- Writ petitions challenging the constitutional validity of any Act, Statutory Rule, Regulation or Notification other than tax and Service matters.
- Writ petitions challenging the constitutional validity of any Act, Statutory Rule, Regulation or Notification impacting Criminal Investigation, Trial, Prosecutions etc.
- Writ Petitions invoking constitutional provisions and Writ Petitions other than the specified categories.
- Letters Patent Appeals of the year 2019 other than service.
- Service Tax Cases, Central Excise Act cases, Custom Act cases and VAT Appeals.
- Writ Petitions pertaining to Service Tax, Central Excise Act, Custom Act and Value Added Tax (VAT) cases.
- Matters to be heard by Commercial Appellate Division.
- Regular hearing matters of the above categories.
The roster specifies that all the urgent matters will be mentioned before the Division Bench headed by the Chief Justice. Moreover, all the fresh PILs shall be listed before the Bench presided over by the Chief Justice.
Most importantly, the roster notifies that the cases of the convicts/appellants in jail, whose sentence is about to be completed or have completed the substantial period of the maximum sentence of the offence charged against them, shall be taken up on priority basis and every endeavor should be made to dispose of the same expeditiously.