A major accident occurred due to a gas leak at a plastic factory in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh this morning. So far 11 people have died in the gas leaking accident. This incident of gas leakage occurred in a factory in the PR Venkatapuram village in Visakhapatnam. At least seven people, including a child, have died after a styrene (Styrene) gas leak in LG Polymer Industry. According to the Director-General of NDRF, 800 people are currently hospitalized, and 5000 people are ill.
After complaining of eye irritation and chest discomfort, many people fell unconscious on the streets. Doctors at King George Hospital said that the gas released from the plant is called styrene, which affects the brains and spine of those exposed to the gas. Due to this, the local people who came in contact with the gas fell on the street after gush. The chemical can reportedly lead to the death of the affected person within 10 minutes.
He further explained that stearin blends easily with oxygen after entering the outdoor environment. As a result, the amount of carbon mono oxide in the air starts increasing. After exposure to it, the lungs of people are badly affected, and they become suffocated.
The city and the surrounding area were home to around five million people. The plant was shut since late March due to coronavirus lockdown.
The local villagers informed the officials around 3.30 am today about the presence of gas in the air. “Hundreds of people have inhaled it and either fell unconscious or having breathing issues” -Srijan Gummalla, Commissioner - Greater Visakhapatnam Municipal Corporation said on Twitter.
At present, the state government is concluding rescue operations extensively in the affected areas. People are being given wet masks to be worn which can to a large extent prevent the side effects of the gas.
Prime Minister Modi called an NDMA meeting on the incident in Visakhapatnam to discuss the matter. He further affirmed that he has spoken to the officials of the Ministry of Home Affairs and National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) regarding the incident and that the matter is being closely monitored.
Areas up to three kilometers affected
It is being told that up to three kilometers of the area around the company have been affected due to the leaking of toxic poisonous gas from the LG Polymer Company located in PR Venkatapuram.
CM left for the hospital to meet the sick
Andhra Pradesh CM YS Jagan Mohan Reddy has inquired about the gas leak incident and directed the district authorities to take all possible steps to save lives and bring the situation under control.
The CM’s Office said that the CM has left for the hospital to meet the sick. The CM is closely monitoring the situation and has directed the officials to take immediate steps and provide all assistance.
Do not panic, assures Andhra Pradesh government
The Andhra Pradesh government on Thursday appealed to people of Visakhapatnam not to panic and cooperate with authorities working to bring under control the situation following a gas leak from a chemical plant there.
Authorities blowing water to subside the effect of the gas leak
GVMC officials are currently blowing water through mist blowers to subside the effect of Syrene Gas leak at the Gopalapatnam area of Visakhapatnam.