38.6c New Delhi, India, Friday, August 29, 2025
Top Stories Supreme Court
Political NEWS Legislative Corner Celebstreet International Videos
Subscribe Contact Us
close
Crime, Police And Law

Haldwani Violence: Here's What Happened!

By Mahima Katal      09 February, 2024 01:12 PM      0 Comments
Haldwani Violence Heres What Happened

Haldwani (Uttarakhand): The anti-encroachment drive turned violent in Uttarakhand's Haldwani on February 8. Two people died and over 200 were injured in violent clashes between police and locals in Banbhoolpura area when a team of district administration officials attempted to demolish an illegal madrasa in the area.

Where did the stones come from?

While talking on Haldwani violence, District Magistrate of Nainital, Vandana Singh said, 

It was planned that on whichever day the demolition will take place, they will attack the forces. Stone pelting was being done and even after that when we continued the demolition drive, another mob came with petrol bombs."

A legal process to remove the encroachment is being carried out at various places and so it was done here too,

 the DM added.

Anti-encroachment drive turned violent

The demolition drive began peacefully... Despite the entire process being carried out properly, a large mob, within half-an-hour attacked our municipal cooperation team, 

the DM further added. According to the District Magistrate, four accused have been arrested so far. A total of three FIRs over violence have been registered in the incident.

Uttarakhand High Court on anti-encroachment drive

Notably, Uttarakhand High Court on Thursday held a hearing on a PIL seeking to stop the demolition of the mosque and madrasa in Haldwani.

The PIL was filed by Malik colony resident Safia Malik and others, the petition challenged the notice given by the Haldwani Municipal Corporation.

However, no relief was granted in the matter by the vacation bench of Justice Pankaj Purohit, following which the demolition exercise began. The matter will now be heard on February 14.

Supreme Court on Haldwani Evictions

The Banbhoolpura area of Haldwani also made news in December 2022 when its residents held protests against the imminent removal of encroachments from around 29 acres of railway land there in compliance with a high court order. The protesters subsequently got relief from the Supreme Court in the matter.

 

(This is a developing story, stay tuned for updates)



Share this article:

About:

Mahima Katal, journalist with a commitment to high-quality research, writing, and production. Proven...Read more

Follow:
FacebookTwitterLinkedinInstagram


Leave a feedback about this
Related Posts
View All

Haldwani Violence: Here's What Happened! Haldwani Violence: Here's What Happened!

Uttarakhand: Here's all you need to know about the anti-encroachment drive that turned violent in Haldwani's Banbhoolpura area on February 8.

TRENDING NEWS


TOP STORIES

adult-woman-free-to-live-with-married-man-personal-autonomy-prevails-over-morality
Trending Judiciary
Adult Woman Free To Live With Married Man, Personal Autonomy Prevails Over Morality: Madhya Pradesh HC [Read Order]

Adult woman has right to live with married man, rules MP High Court; says personal autonomy outweighs moral concerns.

23 August, 2025 04:00 PM
sc-issues-notice-to-bci-on-plea-against-3-yr-moratorium-on-new-centre-for-legal-education
Trending Judiciary
SC issues notice to BCI on plea against 3-yr moratorium on new centre for legal education

SC issues notice to BCI on plea challenging 3-year moratorium on new legal education centres, calling it arbitrary and violative of fundamental rights.

23 August, 2025 05:13 PM
punjab-and-haryana-hc-upholds-denial-of-furlough-to-life-convict-rules-temporary-release-is-a-concession-not-a-right
Trending Judiciary
Punjab and Haryana HC Upholds Denial of Furlough to Life Convict, Rules Temporary Release Is A Concession, Not A Right [Read Order]

Punjab & Haryana HC upholds denial of furlough to life convict, rules temporary release is a concession, not a right, under 2022 law.

23 August, 2025 05:16 PM
sc-restores-mandatory-20-percent-deposit-for-suspension-of-sentence-in-cheque-bounce-case
Trending Judiciary
SC Restores Mandatory 20% Deposit for Suspension of Sentence in Cheque Bounce Case [Read Order]

SC sets aside P&H HC order; rules 20% deposit mandatory for suspension of sentence in ₹8.65 crore cheque bounce case under NI Act.

25 August, 2025 12:35 PM

ADVERTISEMENT


Join Group

Signup for Our Newsletter

Get Exclusive access to members only content by email