38.6c New Delhi, India, Monday, September 01, 2025
Top Stories Supreme Court
Political NEWS Legislative Corner Celebstreet International Videos
Subscribe Contact Us
close
Executive

Birbhum Massacre: NHRC Takes Suo Motu Cognisance, Directs State Gov To Submit Detailed Report Within 4 Weeks

By Akshat Bhat      26 March, 2022 07:14 PM      0 Comments
Birbhum Massacre NHRC Suo Motu Cognisance

The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) took suo motu notice on Thursday of media claims that eight people were burned to death in West Bengal's Birbhum area after a TMC leader was killed in a bomb attack. 

The assassination of a deputy pradhan in Bogtui village in West Bengal's Birbhum district on Monday evening resulted in the burning of at least eight houses in the region, killing eight people, including women and children.

According to the NHRC's press release, the Commission has sent notices to West Bengal's Chief Secretary and Director General of Police, requesting a detailed report on the matter within four weeks, including the status of the FIRs filed, steps taken to ensure the safety of the people in the village, and any relief or rehabilitation provided by the state government.

In issuing the notices, the Commission also said that, based on media accounts, the occurrence of hate violence suggests that law and order in the region is not acceptable.

"According to the media reports, the doctors at Rampurhat Government Hospital, where the bodies were taken for post-mortem, stated that the condition of the bodies made their work very difficult. It is further stated that the presence of blood suggests that the victims were first physically attacked and then the houses were put on fire," the press release averred further.

The Calcutta High Court on Thursday reserved its decision in the suo moto case filed in connection with the Rampurhat violence in Birbhum district. The case diary produced by the State investigating authorities relevant to the ongoing investigation was also taken into consideration by a Bench consisting of Chief Justice Prakash Shrivastava and Justice Rajarshi Bharadwaj. The Court had already ordered the Central Forensic Science Laboratory (CFSL) in Delhi to immediately visit the crime scene and gather all essential material for forensic examination.

On Thursday, the Advocate General informed the Court that, in accordance with the Court's previous orders, 31 CCTV cameras had been erected at the crime scene, as well as several confidence-building measures. In addition, the Court was informed that witness protection had been extended.

ABOUT THE INCIDENT   

Bhadu Sheikh, a TMC leader and deputy pradhan in West Bengal's Birbhum district, was allegedly killed on Monday evening when four persons riding motorcycles tossed a crude bomb at him. Sheikh was brought to the Rampurhat block government hospital, but died en route.

Violence erupted in Rampurhat shortly after his death, when a mob allegedly locked up 10-12 houses with residents inside and set them on fire, killing eight people, including women and children.

According to reports, two FIRs have been filed, one for the murder of deputy pradhan Bhadu Sheikh and the other for the attack on the houses. In the second case, eleven persons have been arrested.

The State government has constituted a Special Investigation Team (SIT) to investigate the violence, which will be led by the assistant director general of police (CID), Gyanwant Singh. The in-charge of Rampurhat police station, as well as the Sub Divisional Police Officer, has been removed from active policing duty.

The incident sparked a public spat between the TMC and the BJP. BJP MLAs also staged a walkout inside the West Bengal Legislative Assembly over the matter.

West Bengal Governor Jagdeep Dhankhar described the death of eight persons in Rampurhat as "horrific," saying it shows the state is engulfed in a culture of "violence and lawlessness." The Governor said he has instructed the state chief secretary to offer him an update on the incident as soon as possible, urging the police to handle the situation professionally.

According to reports, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Thursday met the families of the victims and announced Rs 2 lakh compensation for rebuilding the scorched homes. Promising jobs to ten families affected by the violence, Banerjee added that she would ensure "speedy justice".



Share this article:



Leave a feedback about this
Related Posts
View All

Birbhum Massacre: NHRC Takes Suo Motu Cognisance, Directs State Gov To Submit Detailed Report Within 4 Weeks Birbhum Massacre: NHRC Takes Suo Motu Cognisance, Directs State Gov To Submit Detailed Report Within 4 Weeks

According to reports, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Thursday met the families of the victims and announced Rs 2 lakh compensation for rebuilding the scorched homes. Promising jobs to ten families affected by the violence, Banerjee added that she would ensure "speedy justice".

SC extends stay on sentence of police officer in contempt for public flogging of Muslim men SC extends stay on sentence of police officer in contempt for public flogging of Muslim men

Supreme Court extends stay on jail for policemen in a contempt case for publicly flogging Muslim men, agreeing to examine the appeal.

Vijayabharathi Sayani Appointed Acting Chairperson of NHRC Following Justice Arun Mishra's Departure Vijayabharathi Sayani Appointed Acting Chairperson of NHRC Following Justice Arun Mishra's Departure

Vijayabharathi Sayani appointed Acting Chairperson of NHRC, succeeding Justice Arun Mishra. Sayani, a former Telangana High Court advocate, took charge on June 2.

2018 Thoothukudi Sterlite police firing in TN: SC stays Madras HC's order on probe against assets of police, revenue officials [Read Order] 2018 Thoothukudi Sterlite police firing in TN: SC stays Madras HC's order on probe against assets of police, revenue officials [Read Order]

SC stays Madras HC's order probing assets of officials involved in 2018 Thoothukudi police firing; matter scheduled for hearing on August 27.

TRENDING NEWS


TOP STORIES

sc-sets-up-sit-on-allegations-against-anant-ambani-vantara
Trending CelebStreet
SC sets up SIT on allegations against Anant Ambani's Vantara [Read Order]

SC forms SIT led by ex-judge J Chelameswar to probe allegations of illegal animal acquisition, mistreatment & financial irregularities at Anant Ambani’s Vantara.

26 August, 2025 01:57 PM
sc-deplores-high-courts-for-delaying-judgments-over-a-year
Trending Judiciary
SC Deplores High Courts for Delaying Judgments Over a Year [Read Judgment]

SC slams delay: Supreme Court deplores HCs for not delivering judgments for over a year after reserving cases, eroding faith in justice.

26 August, 2025 05:17 PM
cant-projects-judges-as-political-actors-ex-cjis-former-judges-rebut-statement
Trending Executive
'Can't projects judges as political actors,' ex CJIs, former judges rebut statement by ex judges on statement of Amit Shah [Read Statement]

56 former judges, including ex-CJIs Sathasivam & Gogoi, rebut peers’ statement on Amit Shah, stressing judiciary must stay above politics.

27 August, 2025 06:46 PM
supreme-court-appoints-two-new-judges-justice-alok-aradhe-and-future-cji-vipul-pancholi
Trending Judiciary
Supreme Court Appoints Two New Judges: Justice Alok Aradhe & Future CJI Vipul Pancholi

SC gets two new judges — Justices Alok Aradhe and Vipul Manubhai Pancholi, with Pancholi set to be CJI in 2031. Oath administered by CJI Gavai.

29 August, 2025 02:23 PM

ADVERTISEMENT


Join Group

Signup for Our Newsletter

Get Exclusive access to members only content by email