Paris, July 29: A knife-wielding man attacked three women in broad daylight near Porte de Clichy in northern Paris on Monday, July 27, leaving two victims in critical condition before being overpowered by bystanders and an off-duty police officer. French authorities have opened an investigation for attempted aggravated homicide, while the national anti-terrorism prosecutor's office is monitoring the case to determine whether it should take over the probe.
What Happened at Porte de Clichy
The attack unfolded around 11:30 a.m. in the 17th arrondissement, between a brasserie and the Porte de Clichy tram stop, according to Interior Minister Laurent Nunez. The suspect, described as a long-haired man in his thirties dressed in a cream-colored tracksuit, was seen walking through the busy street carrying two large kitchen knives before attacking women at random.
Three victims, aged 19, 24 and 36, were wounded in the assault. Two of them sustained serious injuries, one to the lower back and another to the abdomen, while the third suffered only minor injuries and remained stable. One of the injured women was reported to be pregnant, according to Geoffroy Boulard, the mayor of the 17th arrondissement.
Video footage circulating online and later verified by Reuters showed the attacker wielding a knife in each hand as he lunged at a woman on the street. A separate clip captured the moment bystanders brought him down. A waitress working nearby recalled watching the man walk past with two knives before a passerby struck him with a bag, knocking him to the ground; a waiter from a neighboring restaurant then helped restrain him further by placing a chair over him. He was ultimately detained by an off-duty police officer, whose intervention drew public praise from officials, including Nunez, who described the act as courageous.
The "Allah Commanded Me" Statement and Investigation
As he lay pinned on the ground, the suspect was recorded saying he had been directed by Allah to carry out the attack. According to Le Parisien, a source close to the investigation said he told officers that he had been sent to kill women. French authorities have treated the statement with caution rather than confirming it as a motive. Nunez told reporters that the man's remarks appeared incoherent and urged the public not to draw premature conclusions about what drove the violence.
Police sources indicate the suspect may be suffering from psychiatric problems, and investigators are working to establish his identity after he reportedly gave officers false personal details. As of this week, his true identity has not been confirmed. The case is currently being handled by the first district of the judicial police under an investigation for attempted aggravated homicide, a charge that in French law carries significant prison terms given the intent to kill and the use of a weapon. The national anti-terrorism prosecutor's office has stated it is following developments closely, a step that does not necessarily indicate terrorism will be established, but reflects standard procedure when religious or ideological statements accompany a violent crime. Whether the case is formally reclassified as an act of terrorism will depend on further psychiatric evaluation and evidence gathered by investigators in the coming days.
Public Reaction and Wider Context
The Alliance police union publicly commended the off-duty officer who intervened, expressing respect for an act that may have prevented further casualties. The incident has also reignited discussion in France about public safety following a string of knife and vehicle attacks across Europe in recent years, including a similar case at a Paris metro station in late 2025, when a 25-year-old man injured three women with a knife before being released from custody after psychiatric evaluation found he was not fit for prosecution at the time.
Authorities have not released further updates on the condition of the two critically injured women since Monday's incident, though officials have indicated none of the victims is believed to be in a life-threatening state. The investigation remains active, with judicial police continuing to question the suspect and verify his background. French officials have reiterated that determining a clear motive whether rooted in mental illness, ideology, or both will take time, and have cautioned against speculation while forensic and psychiatric assessments proceed.
For now, the case stands as an active criminal investigation under French law, with charges of attempted aggravated homicide already filed and additional charges possible depending on the outcome of psychiatric and forensic findings. Authorities have promised updates as the inquiry progresses.
