A petition in the Bombay High Court, Goa Bench has been moved seeking directions on the Respondent authorities to ensure adequate supply of oxygen beds, Covid-19 medicines for all patients in Goa and also for ensuring security measures for doctors and medical personnel to avoid cases of harassment and violence against them in Covid 19 wards.
The plea moved by South Goa Advocates Association additionally prays for directions to enhance the testing program for timely detection of Covid-19 and also to ensure adequate supply of vaccines to all age groups.
The Respondents in the matter are State of Goa, Union of India, Goa Association of Resident Doctors, Dean of Goa Medical College and Directorate of Health Services, Goa.
Stating that the condition of availability of beds in Goa is worsening, the plea highlights that critical patients "have to be managed on trolleys and floors and are also kept on ventilators in the critical COVID wards." Moreover, it is also stated in the plea that wards with capacity of 30 beds have more than 50 patients on average.
"In addition to the inadequate supply of oxygen, there are various other issues plaguing the health system in Goa which is causing havoc due to the overburdened health system. The Petitioners state that there is shortage of life saving drugs which need to be administered timely to the patients suffering from COVID-19," the plea reads.
Addressing the instances of violence and harassment faced by doctors and medical professionals in Covid-19 wards, the plea states that the Respondents ought to take forthwith measures to curb the harassment and violence meted out against the doctors and other medical personnel.
Highlighting that Goa is witnessing close to 2000-3000 fresh cases per day over the last few days, the plea seeks the following prayers:
- To issue an Order and Direction to the Respondents to ensure a steady supply of oxygen to patients requiring oxygen at various hospitals in Goa.
- To issue an Order and Direction to the Respondents to setup additional beds in various hospitals in Goa with the facility to provide oxygen supply to the patients requiring oxygen as part of their treatment.
- To issue an Order and Direction to the Respondents to make necessary arrangements to ensure the timely supply of all the necessary lifesaving drugs and medicines to COVID-19 patients admitted in various hospitals in the State of Goa.
- To ensure availability of adequate medical personnel including doctors at all the Government Hospitals in the State of Goa. To enforce strict measures to protect doctors and medical personnel from harassment and violence.
- To ensure that adequate supply of vaccines against Covid-19 is made available in the State of Goa.