38.6c New Delhi, India, Monday, September 01, 2025
Top Stories Supreme Court
Political NEWS Legislative Corner Celebstreet International Videos
Subscribe Contact Us
close
Judiciary

Bombay HC Issues Notice To Maharashtra Govt On Adnya Naik's Plea Against Police Officers Who Closed 2018 Abetment Case Against Arnab Goswami

By Richa Shah      07 November, 2020 10:18 PM      0 Comments
Bombay HC Issues Notice To Maharashtra Govt On Adnya Naik's Plea Against Police Officers Who Closed 2018 Abetment Case Against Arnab Goswami

Today (7th October, 2020), the Bombay High Court issued a notice on a petition by Adnya Naik. The petition soughtinquiry against those police officers who filed closure report in the 2018 abetment to suicide case against Republic TV Chief, Arnab Goswami.

A division bench (consisting of two judges) was formed: Justice SS Shinde and Justice MS Karnik. They issued a notice to the Governemnt of Maharashtra during a special sitting held todayto hear Goswamis habeas plea.

Suicide note written in English was written by Anvay Naik. The note stated thathe and his mother decided to take the extreme step on account of payments due to them not being cleared by the owners of three companies- television journalist Arnab Goswami of Republic TV, Feroz Shaikha of IcastX/Skimedia and NiteishSarda of Smartworks.

He also stated that interiorworks for republic TV was done by his firm and an amount of Rs.83 lakh was due from Goswami and ARG Outliner Pvt. Ltd. which is the parent company of Republic TV.

This case was closed in April 2019 by the Raigad Policesaying that they did not find any evidence against the accused named in suicide note, including Goswami. However, in May 2020, Adnya Naik asked Anil Deshmukh who is the Home Minister of Maharashtra to reopen the case.

She claimed that that the police had miserably failed to investigate the case and had filed a closure report. She also said that the closure report was accepted by the Magistrate without serving notice upon her.

The Bench had earlier told the co-accused in the case, who were disputing reopening of the case without Magistrates permission, that Magistrate was legally obliged to serve notice on informant to give opportunity for protest complaint.

Advocate Subodh Desai was appearing for the complainant and he informed that it was only in the month of April that Goswamis company tweeted about closing of the matter, that they found out about the Magistrates order.



Share this article:



Leave a feedback about this
TRENDING NEWS


TOP STORIES

sc-sets-up-sit-on-allegations-against-anant-ambani-vantara
Trending CelebStreet
SC sets up SIT on allegations against Anant Ambani's Vantara [Read Order]

SC forms SIT led by ex-judge J Chelameswar to probe allegations of illegal animal acquisition, mistreatment & financial irregularities at Anant Ambani’s Vantara.

26 August, 2025 01:57 PM
sc-deplores-high-courts-for-delaying-judgments-over-a-year
Trending Judiciary
SC Deplores High Courts for Delaying Judgments Over a Year [Read Judgment]

SC slams delay: Supreme Court deplores HCs for not delivering judgments for over a year after reserving cases, eroding faith in justice.

26 August, 2025 05:17 PM
cant-projects-judges-as-political-actors-ex-cjis-former-judges-rebut-statement
Trending Executive
'Can't projects judges as political actors,' ex CJIs, former judges rebut statement by ex judges on statement of Amit Shah [Read Statement]

56 former judges, including ex-CJIs Sathasivam & Gogoi, rebut peers’ statement on Amit Shah, stressing judiciary must stay above politics.

27 August, 2025 06:46 PM
supreme-court-appoints-two-new-judges-justice-alok-aradhe-and-future-cji-vipul-pancholi
Trending Judiciary
Supreme Court Appoints Two New Judges: Justice Alok Aradhe & Future CJI Vipul Pancholi

SC gets two new judges — Justices Alok Aradhe and Vipul Manubhai Pancholi, with Pancholi set to be CJI in 2031. Oath administered by CJI Gavai.

29 August, 2025 02:23 PM

ADVERTISEMENT


Join Group

Signup for Our Newsletter

Get Exclusive access to members only content by email