New Delhi: The Supreme Court today (Feb 26, 2020) heard the petition for the removal of protestors from Shaheen Bagh at 12:30 pm. The apex court pulled up Delhi police for not being able to handle the violence in northeast Delhi.
“Let this fandom cool down. The timing is not conducive to hear this matter. It is for law enforcing administration to ensure environment is conducive,” a Bench comprising Justices SK Kaul and KM Joseph said.
Justice Kaul says “we will see what to do when the hearing comes up” said Justice Sanjay Kishan Kaul while hearing a case completely unrelated to what is happening tells the lawyer in the case “the problem is, today no one wants to take responsibility for anything”. Justice Kaul and his brother judge JusticeKM Joseph then softly smile at each other Justice Kaul however clarifies - “Though unfortunate, we will not expand the scope of the hearing. The question before us is whether or not the protest can be allowed to carry out in public places. We will not get into whatever has happened after that”.
The Supreme Court says it will confine itself to road blockade at Shaheen Bagh. All other applications and petitions on violence in other parts of Delhi disposed of. SC says the Shaheen Bagh hearing should be adjourned as the “environment is not conducive for the hearing to take place right now”. JusticeKM Joseph says-"The moment an inflammatory remark is made, police should take action. Not just Delhi, any state for that matter. 13 lives is not small. Police should act as per law".
The Bhim Army Chief filed a petition to register a FIR against BJP leader Kapil Mishra. The Supreme Court has declined to entertain this plea. SC adjourned the Shaheen Bagh hearing until after the Holi vacations. JusticeSanjay Kishan Kaul says "Let things cool down first, then we’ll hear". The next date of hearing is 23rd March.
72 days of protest has seen many commotion and drama. The protestors are adamant on not leaving Shaheen Bagh. They are also accusing the police of unnecessarily blocking roads which is causing people many problems. The interlocutors tried convincing the protestors that they should move to a site where no public amenities are harmed. The protestors said we need assurance that our safety would not be hampered. And that the Home Minister Amit Shah should order a circular that there will be no NRC (National Register of Citizens). Wajahat Habibullah had filed an affidavit in the court on Sunday (23rd February) saying that the Anti CAA protest is peaceful. The police are blocking the roads he added.
The Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) protest which was initiated from Shaheen Bagh has taken a drastic and violent colour. Areas of north east delhi like ChandBagh, Seelampur, Jaffrabad and Maujpur have witnessed a lot of violence in the past couple of days. The death toll in wave of violence has gone upto 20 with over 180 people injured till Tuesday 25th February. Medical Superintendent of the GTB Hospital confirms - 189 patients brought in so far. 20 confirmed dead. Many patients unknown and some bodies unidentified. Hospital trying to contain the number of casualties, but they are likely to increase.
All the private and government schools of north east Delhi will remain closed today (26th February) and the CBSE board exams which were scheduled in centers in these areas have been postponed. The CBSE said it took the decision “based on the request of Directorate of Education and the Government of Delhi and to avoid inconvenience to student, staff and parents”. IPS officer SN Srivastava was appointed as the new Delhi Police Special Commisioner (Law and Order).
The Delhi Police has filed 11 FIRs against those involved in the violence. The Delhi Police Spokesperson Mandeep Randhawa said “we are responding to incidents involving anti-social elements. Sufficient force has been deployed in north east delhi”.