38.6c New Delhi, India, Friday, February 20, 2026
Top Stories Supreme Court
Political NEWS Legislative Corner Celebstreet International Videos
Subscribe Contact Us
close
Judiciary

Delhi landlord wins 50-year-old legal battle against tenant, to reclaim shop in Connaught Place

By Deeksha sinha      28 March, 2022 02:28 PM      0 Comments
Delhi landlord legal battle against tenant

The Supreme Court on Friday March 25, allowed a landlord to reclaim possession of his shop located at Delhi's Connaught Place followed by 50-year old legal battle with tenants in different Judicial forums. In that proceeding instituted before the Rent Controller, Delhi altogether three individuals and three firms were originally impleaded as respondents. In this appeal, however only three respondents have been impleaded. 

The Shop was rented out to then proprietor (since deceased) of the first respondent in the year 1936. The appellant became the landlord thereof on having purchased the subject premises from its erstwhile owner in the year 1958. The main ground on which the eviction was asked for was sub-letting without the consent of the landlord. 

The respondents run a retail outlet from the subject premises and at the material point of time, the respondents were operating from there a chemist shop. The substance of allegations of the landlord was that the respondents had sub-let certain portions of the premises to three medical practitioners (including one dentist) and two other firms. 

By an order passed on June 5, 1997, the Additional rent controller, Delhi dismissed the petition holding that the appellant had failed to show that there was any sub-letting, assignment or parting with the possession of the tenanted premises in favour of persons who were included in the array of respondents. But in a judgement dated August 29, 2007 the Additional Rent control Tribunal reversed the decision of authority and passed an order of eviction on ground of sub-letting. 

The respondents, thus moved before the Delhi High Court Challenging the order of the tribunal and were successful in that proceedings. Delhi HC by its order dated November 14, 2018 set aside the judgement dated August 29, 2007 of the Additional Rent Control Tribunal and resorted the Judgement dated June 5, 1997 of the Additional Rent Controller. 

This Judgement was of the High Court was then Challenged before the apex Court. Senior Council Dhruv Mehta appearing with advocate Jeevesh Nagrath, for the appellant landlord argued that the sub-letting had been proved before the final fact-finding forum (at the appellate stage) and the appellate forum had returned finding on facts. 

In such circumstances, the High Court in the supervisory jurisdiction ought not to have had upset the order of the Appellate Tribunal, the lawyer argued. Senior counsel Rana Mukherjee, appearing for the respondents, on the other hand, has opposed appellant submission. 

The Supreme Court passed an order in the favour of the landlord granting the right to it's own property and this set aside the judgement of the High Court and restore the Appellant Tribunal's findings. 

"We accordingly direct that the appellant would be entitled to occupation charges Rs 30,000 per month from November 14, 2018 till the subject premises are vacated by the respondents, and the respondents must vacate the premises within the period of 53 weeks from date. A sum of Rs 1 lakh shall be reunited to the appellant within one month from the date and Rs 12 lakh within six months from date," a bench of Justices Vineet Saran and Aniruddha Bose said in its order. 

"So far as the occupation charges for the period of 53 weeks from today is concerned, by which period the respondents shall vacate the premises, the respondents shall remit to the bank account of the appellant to the said sum of Rs 30,000 per month by the last date of each month and if any further sum is found due on computation made in the manner indicated above, such additional sum shall also be remitted within the aforesaid period of six months, a bench of Justices Vineet Saran and Aniruddha Bose said. 



Share this article:



Leave a feedback about this
TRENDING NEWS

homoeopathy-practitioner-cannot-prescribe-allopathy-medicines-telangana-hc
Trending Judiciary
Homoeopathy Practitioner Cannot Prescribe Allopathy Medicines: Telangana HC [Read Order]

Supreme Court holds homoeopathy practitioners cannot prescribe allopathy drugs; Telangana HC quashes FIR on procedural lapse under NMCA.

20 February, 2026 11:28 AM
contractual-bar-on-interest-claims-overrides-interest-act-kerala-high-court-order-set-aside-sc
Trending Judiciary
Contractual Bar on Interest Claims Overrides Interest Act; Kerala High Court Order Set Aside: SC [Read Order]

Supreme Court rules that contractual clauses barring interest claims override the Interest Act, setting aside Kerala High Court’s order on delayed payments.

20 February, 2026 11:43 AM

TOP STORIES

sc-invokes-article-142-to-ensure-functioning-of-consumer-commissions-in-smaller-states-seeks-sgs-assistance
Trending Judiciary
SC Invokes Article 142 To Ensure Functioning Of Consumer Commissions In Smaller States, Seeks SG’s Assistance [Read Order]

Supreme Court invokes Article 142 to ensure consumer commissions function in smaller states, directs High Court judges to hear pending cases.

14 February, 2026 03:34 PM
madras-hc-upholds-life-sentence-for-church-pastor-convicted-of-sexual-assault-on-minor-with-disability
Trending Judiciary
Madras HC Upholds Life Sentence for Church Pastor Convicted of Sexual Assault on Minor with Disability [Read Judgment]

Madras High Court upholds life sentence of church pastor convicted under POCSO for sexually assaulting a 17-year-old girl with intellectual disability.

14 February, 2026 04:40 PM
sc-declines-to-entertain-plea-over-alleged-anti-muslim-remarks-by-assam-cm-says-approach-hc
Trending Judiciary
SC Declines to Entertain Plea Over Alleged Anti-Muslim Remarks by Assam CM, Says Approach HC

Supreme Court asks petitioners to approach Gauhati High Court over alleged hate speech by Assam CM, declines plea for FIRs and SIT probe.

16 February, 2026 02:52 PM
can-live-in-partner-be-prosecuted-under-section-498a-ipc-sc-to-decide-scope-of-husband-in-cruelty-law
Trending Judiciary
Can Live-In Partner Be Prosecuted Under Section 498A IPC? SC To Decide Scope Of ‘Husband’ In Cruelty Law [Read Order]

Supreme Court to decide if a man in a live-in relationship can be prosecuted under Section 498A IPC for cruelty. Case to impact scope of “husband”.

16 February, 2026 03:33 PM

ADVERTISEMENT


Join Group

Signup for Our Newsletter

Get Exclusive access to members only content by email