38.6c New Delhi, India, Thursday, June 20, 2024

Karnataka High Court rules that overseas Indian couples can seek divorce in Indian courts

By Anurupa Biswas      01 March, 2022 07:35 PM      0 Comments
overseas Indian couples can seek divorce in Indian courts

The Karnataka HC recently permitted a British national with an Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI) status to seek divorce in India and file for child custody in a family court in Bangalore while noting that OCIs are treated on par with Non-Resident Indians in many aspects, and are not excluded from seeking matrimonial relief.

The order was passed by single-judge Justice Krishna Dixit who placed reliance on Overseas Citizen of India. In the present case, the husband and wife, both British nationals had a marriage ceremony in India according to Hindu 'Arya Samaj' rites and customs, the husband being a Christian and the wife a Hindu.

Subsequently, they had a civil ceremony marriage in the United Kingdom, which was registered. Their daughter who was born a few years later is also a British national, and since 2006 the couple had been residing in India. Both of them obtained an Overseas Citizens of India Card card in 2017.

In 2018, due to differences between the couple, the wife sought a divorce decree in a Family Court, which the husband challenged on the grounds that only a court in England would have the jurisdiction to do so. His challenge was rejected, upon which he approached the High Court.

Referring to the Apex Court decision in Sabarnanada Sanowla v. Union of India, the Court observed that ubi jus ibi remedium is the operational principle of the system, so once foreigners are lawfully within a territory, they are entitled to certain essential right which are necessary for a meaningful life. The legal maxim means that “Where there is right there is remedy”

The subsequent registration of a civil marriage does not alter their status or replace the existing marital status and create a new one, the Court said. If the marriage took place in India and the parties are residing there, they cannot be asked to go to another country to redress their grievances, the single-judge noted. The Court did not accept the other contention of the petitioner that as domicile is a pre-condition to institute matrimonial cases, the Family Court in India could not entertain the wife's divorce petition.

The contention of the husband that the wife should go to courts in England to seek dissolution of a marriage which was solemnized in India, and in accordance with Indian Law would amount to denying matrimonial relief to her and compelling her to remain in the marriage, the Court said.

The contention of exclusion of jurisdiction of Courts is seen with jealousy, and a heavy onus lies on the person making the assertion, said the Court, while dismissing the petition.

Share this article:

Leave a feedback about this

Trending Executive
MK Stalin Urges Amit Shah to Withdraw New Criminal Laws

Tamil Nadu CM Stalin urges Home Minister Amit Shah to withdraw new criminal laws, citing lack of consultation and fundamental errors in the enactments.

19 June, 2024 11:16 AM
Trending Judiciary
Calcutta HC mandates 1% reservation for transgenders in West Bengal Public Employment [Read Order]

Calcutta HC directs 1% reservation for transgenders in West Bengal public employment, ensuring equal opportunities and implementing Supreme Court’s 2014 mandate.

19 June, 2024 11:33 AM


Trending Judiciary
SC notice to petitioners on NTA's plea to transfer petitions on NEET UG

SC issues notice on NTA’s plea to transfer NEET UG petitions from various High Courts to apex court. Court to review alleged irregularities on July 8.

14 June, 2024 12:44 PM
Trending Business
Hyundai Motor India Set to File IPO Papers, Aiming for Historic $3 Billion Share Sale

Hyundai Motor India to file for IPO, aiming to raise $2.5-$3 billion in what could be India’s largest share sale, enhancing its market value and competitive edge.

14 June, 2024 01:55 PM
Trending Judiciary
Madras HC sentences Contemnor to 6 months jail for scandalous allegations against Judges [Read Order]

Madras High Court sentenced PU Venkatesan to 6 months in prison for making scandalous allegations against judges, emphasizing the need to uphold judicial dignity.

14 June, 2024 03:40 PM
Trending Business
Release of Aamir Khan's son's debut film 'Maharaj' stayed by Gujarat HC on plea by Shri Krishna devotees

Gujarat HC stays release of Aamir Khan’s son Junaid Khan’s debut film ‘Maharaj’ till June 18 on plea by Shri Krishna devotees of the Pushtimarg sect.

14 June, 2024 05:51 PM


Join Group

Signup for Our Newsletter

Get Exclusive access to members only content by email