38.6c New Delhi, India, Saturday, June 22, 2024

Rajasthan High Court Dismisses PIL Filed Against 'Dream 11' Alleging its Involvement in Offences of Betting and Gambling

By Richa Shah      22 October, 2020 08:38 PM      0 Comments
Rajasthan High Court Dismisses PIL Filed Against 'Dream 11' Alleging its Involvement in Offences of Betting and Gambling

On Friday (16th October 2020), the Rajasthan High Court dismissed the Public Interest Litigation (PIL) on the involvement of Dream 11 Fantasy Private Limited in offenses of betting and gambling. 

The petition was filed by Ravindra Singh Chaudhary and he filed the PIL stating that Dream 11 Fantasy Private Limited provides a platform to its users for playing sports and games on a virtual platform, such as fantasy cricket, football, kabaddi, basketball, and hockey. He asserted that the said virtual platform, namely Dream-11, allows its users to register and play various games, to form their own teams made up of real players for cricket, football, kabaddi, and NBA with a maximum budget of 100 crores

In Dream 11, users initially have to pay an amount of Rs.100, out of which 20% is retained by Dream 11, and the remaining balance i.e. 80% of the balance is transferred towards the winning amount for the game. It was alleged that the game being played on the aforesaid platform is nothing else but “betting” on the cricket team. He also said that these online fantasy sports games are games of chance, thereby constituting illegal acts of gambling/ betting and that respondent authorities are not prohibiting this illegal act.

It was alleged that Dream 11 is not paying GST under proper classification which should be 28%, however, they are only paying 18%, and that too from a participant and retain it which actually means that they are paying tax on only 80% amount which is transferred towards winning amount of the game where they should actually be paying on 100%.

The main issue raised in this case was whether the online fantasy sports games offered on the Dream 11 platforms are gambling/betting. The division bench was headed by Indrajit Mahanthy. Mahanty clarified that since the result of a fantasy game does not only depend on sheer chance but also on the skill of the participant, and winning or losing a virtual team created by the participant is also independent of the outcome of the game or event in the real world. 

The format of online fantasy games offered by Dream 11 is a game of mere skill and their business has protection under Article 19(1)(g) of the Constitution of India, the Court said.

Various courts have said, and it is also affirmed by the Supreme Court that “We are of the considered view that PIL has been filed without any real public interest, without disclosing the relevant facts and without proper research. Various judgments in respect of respondent, Dream 11 itself have not even been referred to in this PIL. The PIL is misconceived.” 

Share this article:

Leave a feedback about this

Trending Judiciary
Gravity of offence not relevant when considering bail for juvenile [Read Order]

Allahabad High Court grants bail to a juvenile in a serious criminal case, ruling that the gravity of the offence is not a relevant factor in bail decisions.

22 June, 2024 11:18 AM
Trending Executive
New Anti-Cheating Law enacted: Analysis

In-depth analysis of India’s new Anti-Cheating Law, the Public Examinations (Prevention of Unfair Means) Act, 2024, aimed at curbing exam malpractices.

22 June, 2024 11:38 AM


Trending Crime, Police And Law
Women, including housewife, approach NCW against controversial IPS officer Gyaneshwar Singh

Two women approach NCW against controversial IPS officer Gyaneshwar Singh, citing harassment for tweets based on news reports about his involvement in high-profile cases.

17 June, 2024 03:10 PM
Trending Judiciary
Courts this Week: Law Street Journal's Weekly Round-Up of SC & HCs [June 10 - June 15]

Get the latest updates from the Supreme Court of India and the High Courts ! Here’s a round up of the week's top legal stories in a quick, easy-to-read summary.

17 June, 2024 03:29 PM
Trending Business
Man sues Apple for £5 million, blaming company for divorce after wife discovers ‘deleted messages’ with sex workers

A UK man sues Apple for £5M, claiming their unclear policy on deleted messages led to his divorce after his wife found texts to sex workers on another device.

17 June, 2024 04:26 PM
Trending Crime, Police And Law
Ex-Karnataka CM Yediyurappa appears before CID for POCSO case probe, with protection of 'no arrest'

Ex-Karnataka CM Yediyurappa appears before CID for POCSO case probe, denies allegations, granted ‘no arrest’ protection. Next hearing: June 28.

17 June, 2024 04:46 PM


Join Group

Signup for Our Newsletter

Get Exclusive access to members only content by email