38.6c New Delhi, India, Friday, August 29, 2025
Top Stories Supreme Court
Political NEWS Legislative Corner Celebstreet International Videos
Subscribe Contact Us
close
Judiciary

SC takes suo motu cognisance of death of 3 UPSC aspirants in coaching Centre's basement

By Jhanak Sharma      05 August, 2024 01:58 PM      0 Comments
SC takes suo motu cognisance of death of 3 UPSC aspirants in coaching Centre basement

NEW DELHI: The Supreme Court on Monday took a suo motu cognisance of death of three civil services aspirants in drowing incident due to flooding of basement by rainwater at a coaching centre in Rajender Nagar area of Delhi.

A bench of Justices Surya Kant and Ujjal Bhuyan said the Union as well as the Delhi governments should come out with guidelines and safety norms for such coaching institutes which have become death chambers.

"The recent unfortunate incidents taking away lives of some of the young ones who joined coaching centres for their career pursuits are eye openers for one and all. We therefore deem it appropriate to expand the scope of these proceedings as suo Motu to issue notice to Union of India, through Ministry of Urban Affairs, and NCT of Delhi to show cause as to what safety norms have been prescribed so far and if so what is the effective mechanism introduced for their compliance," the bench said.

The court issues notice to Centre, Delhi government seeking their response on safety norms, observing such institutions should run online until they are able to fulfill all safety norms under the laws and bylaws.

The court sought to know as to what kind of adequate safety norms were being followed in all the coaching centres. It asked them to bring on record the steps taken by them, after citing the tragic death of three IAS aspirants in Delhi.

Also Read: New Anti Cheating Legislation 2024: A Move Against Exam Paper Leaks, Enhancing Fairness in UPSC, SSC, NEET Exams

The court was hearing another similar plea filed by Coaching Federation of India, against Delhi High Court's order of directing the Delhi government and MCD to close down the coaching centres operating in the State without a valid No-objection certificate (NOC) from the Fire Department after the incident.

The court imposed Rs one lakh cost on the petitioner, saying this is a state of affairs where a lot of young ones coming from places across the country to Delhi have lost their lives.

Three aspirants who lost their lives in incident were identified as Tania Soni (25), Shreya Yadav (25) and Navin Delvin (28).

On August 2, the Delhi High Court had entrusted the probe into the July 27 drowning of three civil services aspirants at the basement of the coaching centre here from Delhi Police to the CBI.



Share this article:

About:

Jhanak is a lawyer by profession and legal journalist by passion. She graduated at the top of her cl...Read more

Follow:
FacebookTwitterLinkedinInstagram


Leave a feedback about this
Related Posts
View All

Another CBI Officer Investigating Rakesh Asthana Moves SC Against Transfer, Makes Startling Revelations Another CBI Officer Investigating Rakesh Asthana Moves SC Against Transfer, Makes Startling Revelations

After A.K. Bassi, another CBI officer who was investigating corruption allegations against Special Director Rakesh Asthana moved the Supreme Court.

Ayodhya verdict: SC rules in favour of Ram Lalla, Sunni Waqf Board gets alternate land Ayodhya verdict: SC rules in favour of Ram Lalla, Sunni Waqf Board gets alternate land

SC bench led by CJI Ranjan Gogoi has allotted the dispute site to Ram Janmabhoomi Nyas, while directing the government to allot an alternate 5 acre land within Ayodhya to Sunni Waqf Board to build a mosque.

Supreme Court: Money Spent On Judiciary Less Than 1% In All States Except Delhi Supreme Court: Money Spent On Judiciary Less Than 1% In All States Except Delhi

The court guided all states to document their response to the commission's report within four weeks. If any of the states fail to file a response, it will be presumed that they have no objections to the recommendations made by the commission, the court said.

Supreme Court Top Panel Names Chief Justices for Bombay, Orissa and Meghalaya High Courts Supreme Court Top Panel Names Chief Justices for Bombay, Orissa and Meghalaya High Courts

On April 18, 2020, the Supreme Court Collegium recommended new Chief Justices for three High Courts. Justice Dipankar Datta was proposed as Chief Justice of the Bombay High Court, succeeding Justice B.P. Dharmadhikari. Justice Biswanath Somadder was nominated as Chief Justice of Meghalaya High Court, while Justice Mohammad Rafiq was recommended for transfer as Chief Justice of Orissa High Court.

TRENDING NEWS


TOP STORIES

adult-woman-free-to-live-with-married-man-personal-autonomy-prevails-over-morality
Trending Judiciary
Adult Woman Free To Live With Married Man, Personal Autonomy Prevails Over Morality: Madhya Pradesh HC [Read Order]

Adult woman has right to live with married man, rules MP High Court; says personal autonomy outweighs moral concerns.

23 August, 2025 04:00 PM
sc-issues-notice-to-bci-on-plea-against-3-yr-moratorium-on-new-centre-for-legal-education
Trending Judiciary
SC issues notice to BCI on plea against 3-yr moratorium on new centre for legal education

SC issues notice to BCI on plea challenging 3-year moratorium on new legal education centres, calling it arbitrary and violative of fundamental rights.

23 August, 2025 05:13 PM
punjab-and-haryana-hc-upholds-denial-of-furlough-to-life-convict-rules-temporary-release-is-a-concession-not-a-right
Trending Judiciary
Punjab and Haryana HC Upholds Denial of Furlough to Life Convict, Rules Temporary Release Is A Concession, Not A Right [Read Order]

Punjab & Haryana HC upholds denial of furlough to life convict, rules temporary release is a concession, not a right, under 2022 law.

23 August, 2025 05:16 PM
sc-restores-mandatory-20-percent-deposit-for-suspension-of-sentence-in-cheque-bounce-case
Trending Judiciary
SC Restores Mandatory 20% Deposit for Suspension of Sentence in Cheque Bounce Case [Read Order]

SC sets aside P&H HC order; rules 20% deposit mandatory for suspension of sentence in ₹8.65 crore cheque bounce case under NI Act.

25 August, 2025 12:35 PM

ADVERTISEMENT


Join Group

Signup for Our Newsletter

Get Exclusive access to members only content by email