New Delhi, India  
Judiciary

Uttarakhand High Court says "Subsequent FIR Not Always Counter Blast"; Issues Notice to Victim on Plea to Quash Rape Case Against BJP MLA

By Jishu      26 October, 2020 05:07 PM      0 Comments
Uttarakhand High Court says

Subsequent FIR may not always be termed as counterblast", the Uttarakhand High Court on Monday(19 October 2020) told BJP MLA Mahesh Negi when he sought quashing of a rape FIR against him, contending that the same was a "counterblast" to an FIR priorly filed against the informant by his wife.

The MLA's wife Rita Negi has moved the High Court for canceling of an FIR under Sections 376 and 506 IPC registered in Dehradun.

"According to the FIR, the husband of the petitioner sexually exploited the informant on multiple occasions. Resultantly, she delivered a child from the husband of the petitioner", noted Justice N. S. Dhanik.

"When the informant claimed right for her child, it is the petitioner who tried to hush up the matter by offering money to the informant and she is trying to pressurize the informant. The informant is being threatened. The FIR is quite in detail", the Single Judge further recorded.

The counsel for the petitioner submitted that the petitioner had earlier filed an FIR against the informant and thereafter, as a counterblast, the instant FIR is filed.

"Subsequent FIR may not always be termed as a counterblast. But, having considered the averments made in the FIR, this Court is of the view that this matter definitely requires further deliberation", observed the Single Bench, issuing notice on the plea to the informant-alleged victim.

Also seeking a response from the state government, the bench clarified that Till the next date of listing, being November 9, no coercive steps shall be taken against the petitioner provided she cooperates with the investigation. 

Subsequently, on Wednesday, the same Single Bench also issued notice to Mahesh Negi and his wife on a writ petition by the complainant-victim for investigation by the CBI into the matter.



Share this article:



Leave a feedback about this
TRENDING NEWS

sc-approves-three-tier-nationwide-icu-framework-says-india-in-dreadful-position
Trending Judiciary
SC Approves Three-Tier Nationwide ICU Framework; Says India in “Dreadful Position”

Supreme Court approves nationwide three-tier ICU framework, calls India’s healthcare system in a “dreadful position”, and seeks urgent reforms.

21 May, 2026 10:55 AM
sc-pulls-up-sbi-says-banks-harass-small-borrowers-while-being-lenient-with-big-defaulters
Trending Judiciary
SC Pulls Up SBI, Says Banks Harass Small Borrowers While Being Lenient With Big Defaulters [Read Order]

Supreme Court criticised SBI and banks for being lenient with big defaulters while subjecting small borrowers to borderline harassment.

21 May, 2026 11:51 AM

TOP STORIES

senior-citizens-act-must-be-liberally-construed-rajasthan-hc-upholds-eviction-of-son-and-daughter-in-law
Trending Judiciary
Senior Citizens Act Must Be Liberally Construed: Rajasthan HC Upholds Eviction of Son and Daughter-in-Law [Read Judgment]

Rajasthan HC upheld the eviction of a son and daughter-in-law under the Senior Citizens Act, stressing protection and dignity of elderly parents.

16 May, 2026 01:54 PM
allahabad-hc-grants-bail-to-eight-accused-in-ganga-boat-iftar-case
Trending Judiciary
Allahabad HC Grants Bail to Eight Accused in Ganga Boat Iftar Case

Allahabad High Court grants bail to eight accused in the Varanasi Ganga boat iftar case; pleas of remaining accused still pending.

16 May, 2026 02:01 PM
why-the-supreme-courts-sc-st-act-ruling-on-public-view-is-neither-new-nor-regressive
Trending Judiciary
Why The Supreme Court's SC/ST Act Ruling On “Public View” Is Neither New Nor Regressive

Supreme Court’s “public view” ruling under the SC/ST Act applies settled law, not new restrictions, in the Gunjan @ Girija Kumari case.

16 May, 2026 04:08 PM
nia-files-7500-page-chargesheet-in-red-fort-blast-terror-conspiracy-case
Trending Crime, Police And Law
NIA Files 7,500-Page Chargesheet In Red Fort Blast Terror Conspiracy Case [Read Press Release]

NIA files 7,500-page chargesheet in Red Fort VBIED blast case, naming 10 accused linked to AQIS and AGuH terror conspiracy.

16 May, 2026 06:02 PM

ADVERTISEMENT


Join Group

Signup for Our Newsletter

Get Exclusive access to members only content by email