New Delhi, India  
Judiciary

Uttarakhand High Court Takes Cognizance After Advocate Makes Repeated Calls to Woman Judicial Officer

By Nargis Bano      09 July, 2021 05:07 PM      0 Comments
Uttarakhand Woman Judicial Officer

The High Court of Uttarakhand has taken suo motu cognizance of a case in which the secretary of the Laksar Bar Association, Navneet Tomar, allegedly made repeated phone calls and sent messages to a Woman Judicial Officer.

The Court has filed a criminal contempt petition against Tomar and has scheduled the next hearing for July 28, 2021.

A division bench of Chief Justice R S Chauhan and Justice Alok Kumar Verma directed Tomar to present his case either personally or through his lawyer.

The Court had previously served Tomar with a show-cause notice, asking why no action should be taken against him.

In the past, a single bench of the Supreme Court dismissed Tomar's plea for the quashing of the FIR and a stay of his arrest in the case.

According to officials, a Woman Judicial Officer at a Family Court filed a complaint at the Laksar Police Station alleging that Tomar had been sending her messages and calling her on a regular basis since June 10,2021.

Tomar was also accused of taking photographs with her at a function, having them printed, and sending them to her with bouquets and gifts.

He also visited the woman judicial officer's residence and her chamber on the court grounds, despite the staff's objections.

The police have filed a case against Tomar under various sections of the Indian Penal Code.

Tomar had previously stated in the petition filed before the single bench that he was the secretary of the Bar Association and that in that capacity, he attempted to present photographs and bouquets to the Judge of the Family Court.

He stated that he had gone to her chamber and house, which is why he had made the phone calls and sent messages to her.

Tomar's licence to practise advocacy had previously been suspended by the Uttarakhand Bar Council.



Share this article:



Leave a feedback about this
TRENDING NEWS

sc-approves-three-tier-nationwide-icu-framework-says-india-in-dreadful-position
Trending Judiciary
SC Approves Three-Tier Nationwide ICU Framework; Says India in “Dreadful Position”

Supreme Court approves nationwide three-tier ICU framework, calls India’s healthcare system in a “dreadful position”, and seeks urgent reforms.

21 May, 2026 10:55 AM
sc-pulls-up-sbi-says-banks-harass-small-borrowers-while-being-lenient-with-big-defaulters
Trending Judiciary
SC Pulls Up SBI, Says Banks Harass Small Borrowers While Being Lenient With Big Defaulters [Read Order]

Supreme Court criticised SBI and banks for being lenient with big defaulters while subjecting small borrowers to borderline harassment.

21 May, 2026 11:51 AM

TOP STORIES

senior-citizens-act-must-be-liberally-construed-rajasthan-hc-upholds-eviction-of-son-and-daughter-in-law
Trending Judiciary
Senior Citizens Act Must Be Liberally Construed: Rajasthan HC Upholds Eviction of Son and Daughter-in-Law [Read Judgment]

Rajasthan HC upheld the eviction of a son and daughter-in-law under the Senior Citizens Act, stressing protection and dignity of elderly parents.

16 May, 2026 01:54 PM
allahabad-hc-grants-bail-to-eight-accused-in-ganga-boat-iftar-case
Trending Judiciary
Allahabad HC Grants Bail to Eight Accused in Ganga Boat Iftar Case

Allahabad High Court grants bail to eight accused in the Varanasi Ganga boat iftar case; pleas of remaining accused still pending.

16 May, 2026 02:01 PM
why-the-supreme-courts-sc-st-act-ruling-on-public-view-is-neither-new-nor-regressive
Trending Judiciary
Why The Supreme Court's SC/ST Act Ruling On “Public View” Is Neither New Nor Regressive

Supreme Court’s “public view” ruling under the SC/ST Act applies settled law, not new restrictions, in the Gunjan @ Girija Kumari case.

16 May, 2026 04:08 PM
nia-files-7500-page-chargesheet-in-red-fort-blast-terror-conspiracy-case
Trending Crime, Police And Law
NIA Files 7,500-Page Chargesheet In Red Fort Blast Terror Conspiracy Case [Read Press Release]

NIA files 7,500-page chargesheet in Red Fort VBIED blast case, naming 10 accused linked to AQIS and AGuH terror conspiracy.

16 May, 2026 06:02 PM

ADVERTISEMENT


Join Group

Signup for Our Newsletter

Get Exclusive access to members only content by email