New Delhi, India  
Judiciary

Supreme Court on Vikas Dubey Case: Will do something like Telangana

By Saumya Srivastava      17 July, 2020 02:44 PM      0 Comments
Supreme Court Vikas Dubey

The SC may appoint a panel headed by a retired judge for further probing in the Kanpur Police's killing of UP gangster Vikas Dubey and his aides last week along with his massacre of 8 policemen a few days earlier.

This comes in response to a PIL asking for a Court-monitored CBI or NIA probe into both the incidents. The UP Government has been given time till Thursday (15th July) to tell what kind of committee it wants.

CJI SA Bobde said, We will do something as we did in the Telangana case. Tell us what kind of committee you want. The Telangana case referred to here was the encounter killing of 4 men accused of the rape and murder of a 27-year-old woman. 

A panel headed by Ex-SC Judge Justice VS Sipurkar was constituted to probe the matter in the Telangana case. 

Tushar Mehta, Solicitor General, appearing from the side of the Yogi Adityanath Government asked for some more time to formulate a reply.

Vikas Dubey was the main accused in the attack that left 8 policemen dead and 7 others injured. He was shot dead on Friday (10th July) while he was being brought back to Kanpur from Ujjain after being arrested. He was killed in an encounter as he was trying to escape from the police following a car accident.

As per the statement from the police, Dubey snatched a gun from a policeman. The police attempted to make him surrender but he forced the police to shoot at him after he fired at them.

The credibility of the statement is being doubted and many questions have arisen over the description of events leading to Dubey's death by the police. 

An independent 1-member committee has already been appointed by the State Government to probe the incident. It consists of a retired judge and the report must be submitted within 2 months.

The ongoing inquiries into the killing of the 8 policemen have brought forward a deep-rooted network of policemen supporting the gangster. Chaubeypur Police Station's (having jurisdiction over the village) Officer-in-charge was arrested in relation to the case. Additionally, 4 other policemen from the police station have been arrested and as many as 30 are being investigated.

 The case will be next heard on 20th July. The petition will be heard by a 3-judge bench including CJI Bobde, Justice R Subhash Reddy, and Justice AS Bopanna.



Share this article:



Leave a feedback about this
TRENDING NEWS

senior-advocate-mahalakshmi-pavani-among-members-of-new-supreme-court-election-tribunals
Trending Judiciary
Senior Advocate Mahalakshmi Pavani Among Members of New Supreme Court Election Tribunals [Read Order]

Supreme Court forms two new Election Tribunals for State Bar Council poll disputes; Senior Advocate Mahalakshmi Pavani named a member.

19 May, 2026 11:48 AM
madras-hc-stays-tamil-nadu-cyber-crime-wings-omnibus-x-blocking-order-says-political-criticism-constitutionally-protected
Trending Judiciary
Madras HC Stays Tamil Nadu Cyber Crime Wing’s Omnibus X Blocking Order, Says Political Criticism Constitutionally Protected [Read Order]

Madras High Court stays Tamil Nadu Cyber Crime Wing’s omnibus X blocking order, holding political criticism is constitutionally protected speech.

19 May, 2026 12:36 PM

TOP STORIES

no-offence-under-sc-st-act-if-alleged-casteist-abuse-occurred-inside-private-house-sc
Trending Judiciary
No Offence Under SC/ST Act If Alleged Casteist Abuse Occurred Inside Private House: SC [Read Judgment]

Supreme Court rules SC/ST Act offence is not made out if alleged casteist abuse occurred inside a private house without public view.

14 May, 2026 03:16 PM
madras-hc-bars-tiruppattur-mla-from-floor-test-over-disputed-one-vote-victory
Trending Judiciary
Madras HC Bars Tiruppattur MLA From Floor Test Over Disputed One-Vote Victory [Read Order]

Madras High Court restrains Tiruppattur MLA from floor test participation over disputed one-vote victory and alleged electoral irregularities.

14 May, 2026 03:24 PM
pakistan-extends-nationwide-austerity-drive-until-june-13-as-us-iran-talks-collapse
Trending International
Pakistan Extends Nationwide Austerity Drive Until June 13 as U.S.-Iran Talks Collapse

Pakistan has extended its nationwide austerity drive until June 13, 2026, after U.S. President Donald Trump rejected Iran's peace proposal. Fuel cuts, vehicle restrictions, and salary reductions remain in force as Islamabad navigates an energy crisis rooted in the West Asia conflict.

14 May, 2026 03:39 PM
173-indians-among-198-foreigners-arrested-in-sri-lankas-expanding-cybercrime-crackdown
Trending International
173 Indians Among 198 Foreigners Arrested in Sri Lanka's Expanding Cybercrime Crackdown

Sri Lankan police arrested 198 foreigners, 173 Indians and 25 Nepalese, in the southern coastal towns of Galle, Hikkaduwa, and Midigama on May 11, 2026, as part of an ongoing cybercrime crackdown that has seen over 800 foreign nationals detained across the island nation since January 2026.

14 May, 2026 03:50 PM

ADVERTISEMENT


Join Group

Signup for Our Newsletter

Get Exclusive access to members only content by email